Recent developments render the biobased sector a key player in European Economy providing a great impetus towards Circular Business Models of resource efficiency. Developments in biobased nanomaterials are coupled with biotechnologies applied to biomass converting the renewable resources into high added-value polymers. BIOMAC will establish an OpenInnovation Test Bed (OITB) Ecosystem providing open access to SMEs or Industry to a single-entry point.
BIOMAC introduces a network of different and versatile open access Pilot Lines (PLs), which have been selected due to the fact that they are representing a wide spectrum of biomass processing and manufacturing of nanoreinforced polymers as well as on the fact of their geographical distribution that demonstrates a trans-national collaboration. The Consortium of BIOMAC provides the OITB with geographical distribution of the participants and especially the Pilot Plants has been critically considered during the Consortium preparation phase. The Pilots are distributed across 12 European Countries that are well-positioned across the value chain of bio-based nanomaterials (Greece, Belgium, Luxemburg, UK, Germany, Spain, Sweden, Denmark, Poland, Hungarian, Portugal, Denmark)
Renewable resources are important driving alternatives of economic growth in many industrial sectors holding promises for sustainable development, unlike conventional petroleum-based ones. Bio-based products derived from biomass can pass through their entire life cycle alleviating obstacles associated with solid waste disposals, supporting at the same time the integration with a circular economy-based material loop. Yet, technical performance, economic feasibility and environmental sustainability should be further enhanced to meet new market requirements.
Starting from the utilization of biomass sources followed by the production of biobased nanoparticles and different building blocks the ecosystem produces biopolymers for the strategic sectors of Food Packaging, Construction, Automotive and Printed Electronics which consist a high market share. A self-sustainable open innovation ecosystem for the upscaling of upscaled processes across the supply and value chain is intended to be created in order to fill this gap. Although the last two decades a high number of publications have been only a very limited number of such cases has been finally commercialized and reached the market end-users.
Some of the reasons that these have not been adopted by the market are lack of investment, funding for further development, upscaling and the limited willingness of end-users to adopt nanomaterials into their processes, this is the ‘valley of death’ which BIOMAC intends to overcome. The OITB will offer services that cover the assessment of regulation & safety, sustainability, circularity and market potential among modelling, process control,
standardization and characterization; accessible at fair conditions and cost. BIOMAC establishes a concrete community of open collaboration for stakeholders and customers enabling innovation and minimization of investment risks. This will be achieved by offering an open innovation ecosystem, in which technologies that have been developed up to TRL4-5 will be able to be upscaled and validated up to TRL 7.
BIOMAC aims to create a self-sustainable open access ecosystem consisting of 17 open access PLs across the entire bio-based value chain comprising of the production and incorporation of bio-based nanoparticles (NC, NL & BNC) in the final products. Within the Pilot Plant Supreme Hub (PPSH) 3 Clusters of Pilot Lines (BFPC, IMNC and FPFC) will be subjected to modifications such as process control, larger scale application, batch to continuous mode, nanomaterial compatibility mixing and integration, process & material simulation together with monitoring systems ensuring more efficient process control and optimization. Supported by characterisation facilities, modelling tools, regulatory and standardization consultancy and H&S, all cooperating within the framework of innovative business models, that will be implemented internally and provided as services. The assessment services include the consideration of s-LCA / LCA and LCC along with the development of DST towards the screening of all the possible options using simultaneously environmental, economic and energy criteria. To provide sustainable and holistic production paths, BIOMAC will offer dedicated services examining the circularity and EoL advancing towards circular approaches and business models. Regulatory, safety and environmental barriers will be confronted through active involvement in standardization and regulatory committees at the national and European level.
IDENER’s Contribution to BIOMAC
All PLs are fully operative and have been verified at TRL4 producing the according to products thought modelling they will further validate and upgrade their target products and operations. IDENER along with UBU, IQS have the highest expertise in R&D projects in materials and process modelling and process optimization. Therefore, together will correlate the background knowledge and serve test cases to better identify crucial performance parameters and process conditions IRIS also provides tailored artificial intelligence models to use the data from the process monitoring to optimize the process.
- Client European Commission
- Date 8 January, 2021
- Tags Biotechnology, Expertise area, Funding type, Horizon 2020, ICTs, Industrial technologies, Modeling and Simulation, Other, Public - H2020, Research area
- Programme H2020
- Call ID H2020-NMBP-TO-IND-2018-2020
- Client European Commission
- Partners ARISTOTELIO PANEPISTIMIO THESSALONIKIS, EUROPEAN BIOMASS INDUSTRY ASSOCIATION, BIO ECO ENERGY COMPANY DOO, LULEA TEKNISKA UNIVERSITET, BIO BASE EUROPE PILOT PLANT VZW, LUXEMBOURG INSTITUTE OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY, RISE PROCESSUM AB, LEIBNIZ INSTITUT FUER AGRARTECHNIK UND BIOOEKONOMIE E V, THE UNIVERSITY OF EDINBURGH, AIMPLAS - ASOCIACION DE INVESTIGACION DE MATERIALES PLASTICOS Y CONEXAS, FRAUNHOFER GESELLSCHAFT ZUR FOERDERUNG DER ANGEWANDTEN FORSCHUNG E.V., CREATIVE NANO PC, INSTITUTO TECNOLOGICO DEL EMBALAJE, TRANSPORTE Y LOGISTICA, ASOCIACION DE INVESTIGACION METALURGICA DEL NOROESTE, POLITECNICO DI MILANO, TEKNOLOGISK INSTITUT, IDENER RESEARCH & DEVELOPMENT, AXIA INNOVATION UG, UNIVERSIDAD DE BURGOS, ABIS SPOLKA Z OGRANICZONA ODPOWIEDZIALNOSCIA SPK, EXELISIS IKE, EUROPEAN BIOPLASTICS EV, UNIVERSITA DEGLI STUDI DI PADOVA, IRIS TECHNOLOGY SOLUTIONS, SOCIEDAD LIMITADA, AFOI KOUTSANTONI EE, DIAD GROUP SRL, OHMATEX A/S, EVERSIA INNOVA SA, ACCIONA CONSTRUCCION SA, NOVAMONT SPA, INSTITUTO DE SOLDADURA E QUALIDADE, STAM SRL
- Project cost 16.596.702,50 €
- Start date 1st January, 2021
- End date 31st December, 2024